Hello everyone! As an Associate Marriage and Family Therapist, and a Mom of two I find myself crazy busy these days, however I am happy to take a moment to share with you a combination of my two top interests: podcasts, and mental health! I always love reading but summer vacation has just started, and though I’d prefer to be on an actual vacation with the latest beach read, just like you, I am often on the go and can’t swing it. My favorite way to consume information lately has been via podcasts! I can’t always watch videos or sit down with a book, so I am subscribing to/saving podcasts that I am interested in and tuning in at my convenience.
Podcasts give me the option to listen wherever and whenever and I can pick up right where I left off without any difficulty, so I’m taking in great and often entertaining information while I drive or take care of things around the house. It makes putting away laundry a little more entertaining- bonus! If you are new to listening to podcasts, you need to know where to start- you can find podcasts on a variety of streaming sources: Spotify, Audible, Amazon Music, Apple Podcasts, and Google Podcasts are just a few. They are free apps you can download to your phone or streaming device and many podcasts stream from their website as well, which I have included links to when possible. In my work as a therapist, many of the people I meet with are struggling with anxiety. Teen anxiety is a growing concern that has garnered significant attention in recent years. Rates of anxiety among teenagers have been on the rise, and it is crucial to address this issue and provide appropriate support. We can start by getting information and guidance at home- at the press of a button! Let’s take a look at the top 5 podcasts that deal with teen anxiety that you can check out to support yourself and your family! Full disclosure: “top 5” is highly subjective! I am looking at content, host style and background/training, production quality, and ratings to determine who makes the list… I hope you find one you love!
Top 5 Teen Anxiety Podcasts:
- “Your Teen, Anxiety, and You” with Moira Give it a listen: https://link.chtbl.com/yourteenanxietyandyou This is a twice weekly show led by a Mom and trauma-release practitioner from the UK who aims to bring hope and support to parents and caregivers of teens struggling with anxiety. She really focuses on emotions and speaks in a knowledgeable and comforting way.
- ”Helping Your Anxious Teen” with Britt Learn more: https://www.bishoffcoaching.com/ and check out her Etsy shop for courses and planners: https://www.etsy.com/shop/BrittsBowsStore This is a weekly podcast for parents of teens and tween by a certified Teen Life Coach. She is personable and provides information and tools in short easy to understand episodes.
- ”The Teen Life Coach” with Sami Halvorsen. Check her out: https://www.theteenlifeschool.com/ and give a listen: https://www.theteenlifeschool.com/blog This is a weekly podcast that covers a range of teen topics including stress, anxiety, Episodes are about 30 minutes or less and aims to support teens 13+ directly.
- “Overpowering Emotions Podcast” with Caroline Buzanko, a Psychologist who works with children, teens, and their families. Learn more about Dr. Caroline on her site https://drcarolinebuzanko.com This weekly podcast supports parents and other caregivers to help teens manage anxiety, big feelings, and increase courage and resilience. The episodes are 30 minutes to an hour and include professional guests.
- “The Child Anxiety FAQ” with Dawn Friedman MSEd. Check out Dawn: https://childanxietysupport.com/ and give a listen: https://childanxietysupport.com/faq/ This weekly podcast comes in roughly 10 minute increments and offers advice from a pro therapist on parenting children/teens experiencing anxiety. Bonus for the Parent or caregiver who struggles with anxiety:
- “Anxiety Slayer” with Shann and See their info: https://www.anxietyslayer.com/ where they offer meditations, courses, and recommendations. And give a listen: https://www.anxietyslayer.com/journal This is a weekly podcast with hosts Shann and Ananga who share a holistic and mindfulness-based approach to anxiety relief.
Happy listening. I hope you find the comfort and support that you are looking for. And remember, while Podcasts do provide valuable information and guidance, they do not constitute as or replace actual therapy. If your teen is struggling with anxiety, please seek the services of a qualified professional therapist. Therapy provides a safe and conﬁdential space where teenagers can unpack their worries, fears, and anxieties without judgment. It’s a safe space where their thoughts and emotions can be untangled, examined, and understood with the guidance of a compassionate and skilled professional. Therapy helps support teens by offering specifically tailored tools to navigate their anxiety. Through evidence-based techniques and tailored interventions, therapists empower teens to challenge negative thought patterns, manage stress, and cultivate healthy coping strategies. They guide them towards self-awareness, helping them uncover the underlying causes of their anxiety and providing the necessary tools to tackle it head-on. In therapy, teenagers develop a deeper understanding of themselves, and gain insights into their strengths, values, and passions. Better self-awareness can help them build resilience, harness their inner strength, and navigate life’s ups and downs. You may want to consider therapy for yourself as well to receive support for the challenges that come with parenting teens. Here at Outside the Norm Counseling in Temecula, CA, we can do both. We have Licensed and Associate Therapists ready to meet your teen (and you!) today, and we are pleased to provide services in person or virtually via video or phone session anywhere in California.